Saturday, February 27, 2016

My brain hurts

CAD software can be pretty complex. I've been using the same software for about 20 years now, from a company called Gerber Technologies. I do all my pattern design, grading, alterations, and made-to-measure on this platform. Or rather, I did. When I joined Hickey Freeman they were in the process of doing a very significant upgrade of their own CAD software, from a company called Lectra (it's actually former investronica software, but they were bought by Lectra). In a way it was fortunate timing because everybody had to be retrained on the new version they are installing because they jumped four versions. Lots of new functions. But for me, who has never seen this platform before, it's like unlearning how to ride a bike and trying to learn how to do it upside down and backwards. Blindfolded. It has some great functionality built in but it's just killing me trying to learn it in the very short period of time that the trainer is here from Spain. One great thing is that I have it installed on a laptop so I can bring it home and work in my pajamas. I could never do that before so this weekend is all about practicing with this new software.

StumbleUpon.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you recommend going CAD for small, 1 man operations (I don't do bespoke, more a RTW/MTM hybrid for men)? Do you have any experience with Grafis or any of the "lower" cost CAD programs (PAD, StyleCAD, etc)? Any thoughts? Do you think I'm too small to make CAD cost-effective (as opposed to drafting by hand, as I do now)? I'm leaning towards Grafis b/c it uses the Rundschau drafting system. Thanks, Jeffery! And, excellent blog. KT.

Reader said...

They say learning new things keeps us sharp. :-) I dislike a change of OS, can't imagine what moving to a different CAD software must be like.

Unknown said...

You can try Grafis for free, AFAIK they give you a few patterns to play with, but you can't print or save them.
http://www.grafis.com/downloads.html
I have no personal experience with any of the CAD systems. Most are modular and you can have additional software and special hardware with it.
In any case you would need access to a plotter.

R. Jeffery Diduch said...

The major CAD systems are expensive- think upwards of $10,000 per license so you have to be doing some serious pattern making to justify it. I don't have any experience with the other systems you mentioned, though a free trial sounds like a good start.

Kyle said...

Jeffery, I feel your pain as I tried to jump into Photoshop 6 a few years ago w/o any previous PS experience. YIKES. Good luck! You're a smart fellow, so you can do it.

Jain said...

Is one better than another in your experience ?

Anonymous said...

Having used Gerber for 20 years, I ended up worked for a company that had Optitex....I found myself always looking for work arounds on the functions that would replicate the gerber functions I was missing.

Steven B. Wheeler, MTailor said...

I'm working my way backwards through your blog and I just had to stop here and comment on how awesome you are for taking the time to create such quality content on tailoring and technical design.

I myself am working through a shift; I'm going from RTW & sportswear design to tech design for tailored apparel. While I have done my share of flat pattern drafting by hand, am now learning not only Gerber Accumark pattern design but also Accumark MTM. It has been a steep learning curve! I am envious of your ability to work on your laptop from home, too. Our software license cost a pretty penny and is only installed on one machine at the office.

Thanks again for maintaining such a great blog!

Post a Comment